This afternoon I was lucky to join the #YVRBloggers at TIXE – Vancouver’s Largest Escape room located in Richmond, BC. I had never been to an escape room so I didn’t really know what to expect!
Escape rooms started in Japan and quickly gained popularity throughout Asia. This concept is relatively new to Canada but the activity is gaining popularity quickly! Tixe is the largest Escape room in Vancouver with over 9000 square feet of space to navigate. They host four different escape rooms, a large lobby, coffee and treat shop, and a games area where you can hang out and play board games… perhaps a way to redeem yourself if you failed to successfully get out of the escape room!
So what is an Escape Room?
An escape room is where you are locked in a room, with a few clues and a story. You need to work as a team to figure out how to get out of the room. There will be a variety of puzzles, clues, hints and objects – teamwork is mandatory to figure out how to get to the next room(s).
Tell me more….
I COULD go into all of the details of my experience, showing you pictures and really giving you an idea what it’s all about, but that would ruin the experience for you! So instead I’m going to give you my top ten list of what I LOVED about my afternoon at TIXE and then do a giveaway so that hopefully you can go and check it out yourself!
1. The Atmosphere – Even the entrance is well thought out… there isn’t an element of design that has been missed. From casual places to sit with your friends before a game, to large tables to debrief, they’ve really hit the nail on the head in creating a place where people can be together and have a good time.
2. The Rooms – There are four different Escape Rooms that you can enter – each one greeting you with a different theme and story. You feel as if you’re walking into a movie set, with professional props and décor. The amount of thought that went into each room, the technical and physical building of each component and the attention to detail is really amazing. I could write another 1000 words on the rooms but I can’t do it without giving it away, so I’ll leave it for you to experience with your own eyes, and ears, and hands, and feet…
3. Time flies… literally! – Each team was given one hour and the ability to ask for two hints. (We may have pulled the blogger card and asked for more help!) Time flew as we tried to figure things out and the 45 minute mark came quickly. It was engaging and a lot of fun.
4. The Escape – After being locked behind bars in our first room it was obvious that we wanted out and we even had a feeling of where to escape to. Oh, the clue to unlock the box, that would be easy… right? Everything is so much more than it seems and within 4 minutes we knew that the challenge was on. If I give you any free advice it would be to work AS A TEAM! (Seems obvious for a team building activity, right? If you go into this room message me after if you “get it”)
5. The desire to return – After our hour was up we needed to come out to the main room and debrief. “What if” and “I wish we had…” “Next time” and the making of plans were in the works already. The café has all sorts of treats ranging from Belgian waffles to cake pops, gelato to special drinks. (Rumour has it they are working towards their liquor license too)
6. The Staff – I love people who are passionate about what they do and this team is clearly excited to launch this business. Not only do they make sure you are greeted with enthusiasm and taken well care of, they laugh with you when you’re struggling and are there to evaluate the experience with you afterwards. Their energy was contagious and it was so great to see business owners so invested in our experience.
7. They like to party – The second best thing about the staff is their desire to party! This activity is truly a team building activity and they are working with large corporate team building companies to bring teams in who want to challenge themselves and strengthen their team. They will take care of not only the experience but the food and beverages so that the hosts can sit back and enjoy… now that’s my kind of party!
8. The location – Tixe is located very close to the River Rock Casino – an easy place for public transit access or personal vehicle The hotel provides a great before or after party place to congregate.
9. The Hockey Game – With the Canucks playing a big game that night, it was funny to hear my husband come out of the experience and talk about it the whole way home. At 6:59 he went “The hockey game starts in one minute, and I haven’t thought about it all day!” Which, if you know my husband, is a very big deal. That something could capture him for 3 hours and not make him think about hockey? Well, that’s impossible. (Yes, there’s a joke in there somewhere but let’s be PC… my mom IS my editor)
10. The name – TIXE… The Escape Room. Even the name is a puzzle! Can you figure out what the name stands for? ? ? I’ll be impressed if you do!
So if you’re looking for an awesome place to host a team building activity or looking for a great venue for a birthday party or special event, I highly recommend Tixe. And I’m excited that FOUR of my followers will get a pass to TIXE! Just comment on this blog, or on any of my social media channels that you want a ticket and I’ll draw on Friday, April 24 at noon.
For more information: