Are you wanting a year filled with more adventures and time outside? A few years ago we were in the same situation so we made some small changes in our lives that ended up having a big impact.
Whether you’re looking to save money or have more time, here’s our list of the top ways you can have more adventures in 2017!
- Stop shopping at Costco – If you’re an organized shopper and can head into the store with a list, then Costco may be a good way to save money. However, if you’re like me and head in with a half list in your head and lose focus quickly, before you know it your cart is filled with items you never knew you needed. When we stopped shopping at Costco we started saving about $100 per month. (That’s a $1200 a year savings!)
- Order your groceries online – Similar to Costco, online grocery shopping can save you money… but it can also save you about at last an hour a week. We now use that time for local hikes, bike rides, or other Sunday Fundays. (Equaling at least another 52 hours of adventures in a year!)
- Take a Hike – Seriously! Hiking is one of the most accessible activities for individuals and families. Hiking takes you to absolutely amazing places that are only accessible by foot, and the best part? It’s 100% free! Here’s a list of our top favorite hikes in the Fraser Valley.
- Unfriend Facebook – Is our news feed filled with drama, celebrities, and negativity? Analyse the type of messages that you see every day and remove negative people, groups, and replace them with motivational and inspirational messages. Four of my favorite Facebook groups are, Run Like a Girl, Chasing Sunrise, Parks Canada, Chilliwack Hiking Club .
- Join a club – Clubs are a great way to meet new people and try new things, often for a very small fee. For example, the Mudd Bunnies are a ladies mountain biking group that you can ride with almost every day of the week for a small fee of $40 per year! It’s great for all levels and has been an awesome way for me to get into the sport. Clubs are available in most regions.
- Visit a friend – Lodging is often one of the most expensive costs of travel so plan a trip to see your friends and schedule in some new adventures along the way!
- Use Tourism Boards – When travelling to a new area check in with the local tourism board, they are experts in the region and can guide you to some of the best places to explore. Tell them your budget (and feel free to say that you’re looking for free activities) and they will provide you with an abundance of resources.
- Go to a festival – Visiting another towns local festival or seasonal celebration is a great way to experience a new culture. Often there are a lot of great family friendly activities and the cost to participate is either low cost, or free!
- Ask for Experiences – Instead of asking for presents for birthday gifts ask for experiences. If you want a whole year of experiences ask for a season’s pass to one of your favorite local attractions. (Here’s a full list of local gift experience ideas)
- Schedule in adventure – If you want to have more adventures in your life you have to MAKE TIME for them. You can’t just sit back and hope that they will magically appear, you have to aggressively block out time in your calendar and make it happen.
If you’re looking for inspiration here are some of our top trips from 2016:
Family Road Trips:
We hope that 2017 is filled with amazing adventures! Please tag us or share your adventures with us!
Is this a sponsored post?: No, we were not paid for this post. We simply want to share amazing experiences and adventures with our followers! We hope this inspires you and your family to get outside and try something new!